Thursday, February 16, 2006

#38 Empty Lots

As I've gotten older I've grown less certain about many things--like who
are the good guys and who are the bad guys, and which simple formula will
change the world. But I've grown in my confidence that our future lies in
loving this earth and all its people. I think of you as part of a great
army of lovers--and I'm glad to be with you.
My offering this month is a poem, and a short list of things that make
me hopeful. As I was riding the trolley to work thinking what that list
would include this time, I wasn't in a particularly hopeful mood, but the
act of creating it shifted my perspective. I invite you to do the same.



Empty lots

Empty lots grow rank
with weeds and trash
construction detritus
appliances, old tires.
A cyclone fence
becomes an obstacle
that those who dump
seem eager to take on
and failed security
is added to the blight.

Neighbors step in at times
create a garden or a park
defend it stalwartly
against all odds
but this is rare.
The city cleans
(amidst publicity)
yet can’t hold sway
against the lack of caring
in the air.

But now a miracle
stronger than blight
spreads from lot to empty lot.
Some wise force
has conjured grass
within a picket fence—
a spell of stunning
power and simplicity.

These peaceful spots
deep symbols of civility
are startling
require a new response
call forth restraint, respect--
a barrier more powerful it seems
than angry metal mesh.

Pamela Haines
10/05



Some things that make me hopeful:

The enormous generosity of the American people (and others) in response to
natural disaster--an indication of our true nature.

All the college-age young people who are determined to play ultimate frisbee
just for fun.

Mixed race and mixed class urban neighborhoods with trees.

Two women, one young and one old, growing closer as they plan a workshop for
women of all ages.

Pamela Haines
Philadelphia, PA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home